Grant Amount: $885,234
Recipient: Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
In 2014, the de Beaumont Foundation and the Association of State and Territorial Health Official (ASTHO) conducted the Public Health Workforce Interests and Needs Survey (PH WINS). PH WINS was the first nationally representative survey of individual state health agency employees. More than 10,000 state governmental public health agency employees participated in the first round.
Building on the data from the survey, the de Beaumont Foundation and ASTHO continue to foster effective workplace policies and practices for a more robust public health workforce partner through PH WINS: Research to Action. This initiative includes:
- Creating and maintaining a community of practice focused on the development of the public health workforce.
- Crafting and implementing a standardized training needs assessment that goes beyond PH WINS.
- Developing a web-based tool for high-quality online training for the public health workforce.
- PH WINS: Research to Action press release
- “Time to Get to Work(force): Practical Steps to Building a Stronger, More Sustainable Public Health Workforce;” a blog post from CEO Ed Hunter
- Joint request for proposals (RFP) from the de Beaumont Foundation & ASTHO seeking teams to participate in a learning collaborative that will foster partnerships and improve workforce development practices in state and local health agencies. Teams from South Carolina, Maryland, Texas, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Massachusetts were selected.