The BUILD Health Challenge supports “bold, upstream, integrated, local, and data-driven” (BUILD) community health interventions. By strengthening partnerships between local nonprofit organizations, hospitals and health systems, and local health departments, we are able to improve community health and well-being.
In 2014, five funding partners came together to identify, accelerate and spotlight innovative approaches that reorient the field toward upstream factors that influence health. The de Beaumont Foundation partnered with the Advisory Board Company, the Colorado Health Foundation, the Kresge Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to issue the call to action.
In addition to the original five partners, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation, Episcopal Health Foundation, Interact for Health, Mid-Iowa Health Foundation, New Jersey Health Initiatives, Telligen Community Initiative, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation joined the funding collaborative in 2016 to issue a new call for applications.
Current BUILD awardees:
- Avondale Children Thrive (Cincinnati, OH) – Children’s health
- Bridging Health and Safety in Near Northside (Houston, TX) – Safe communities
- BUILD Health Aurora (Aurora, CO) – Children’s health
- Building Uplifted Families (Charlotte, NC) – Safe communities
- Cleveland Healthy Home Data Collaborative (Cleveland, OH) – Healthy housing
- Collaborative Cottage Grove (Greensboro, NC) – Community revitalization
- Developing a Community-Driven Health Equity Data System to Enhance Resident Mobility (New Orleans, LA) – Transportation
- FLOURISH St. Louis: Improving Transportation Access to Help Mothers and Babies Thrive (St. Louis, MO) – Maternal and child health
- Forward, Franklin (Franklin Borough, NJ) – Safe communities
- Healthy Homes Des Moines (Des Moines, IA) – Healthy housing
- Healthy Together Medical-Legal Partnership for Improving Asthma in Southeast DC (Washington, DC) – Medical-legal
- Home Preservation Initiative for Healthy Living (Philadelphia, PA) – Healthy housing
- New Brunswick Healthy Housing Collaborative (New Brunswick, NJ) – Healthy housing
- One Northside Center for Lifting Up everyBody (Pittsburgh, PA) – Safe communities
- Project Detour (Colorado Springs, CO) – Addiction
- Raising of America Partnership Boulder County (Lafayette, CO) – Children’s health
- Reducing Tobacco Use Through Innovative Data Sharing and Creative Engagement Strategies (Covington and Gallatin Counties, KY) – Tobacco control
- Transforming Breastfeeding Culture in Mississippi (Jackson, MS) – Maternal and child health
- Trenton Transformation: A Safe & Healthy Corridor (Trenton, NJ) – Community revitalization
What will you BUILD?
Conversations with Hospital and Health System Executives: How Hospitals and Health Systems Can Move Upstream to Improve Community Health, a report from the de Beaumont Foundation, in partnership with the BUILD Health Challenge, examines how hospitals and health systems can drastically improve their community engagement work by fostering cross-collaborative partnerships focused on upstream factors affecting community health outcomes. It contains best practices, executive-level insights, and practical how-to guides for connecting community and hospital leaders!
In June 2015, 18 communities were selected to receive inaugural BUILD Health Challenge Awards in areas including housing, food insecurity, active living, violence prevention, and economic development. The following seven received two-year Implementation Awards:
- Oakland, CA: San Pablo Area Revitalization Collaborative
- Ontario, CA: The Healthy Ontario Initiative
- Des Moines, IA: Healthy Homes Des Moines
- Albuquerque, NM: Addressing Healthcare’s Blindside in Albuquerque’s South Side
- Bronx, NY: The Bronx Healthy Buildings Program
- Cleveland, OH: Engaging the Community in New Approaches to Healthy Housing
- Pasadena, TX: The Harris County BUILD Health Collaborative
The following 11 communities received one-year planning awards:
- Los Angeles, CA: Youth-Driven Healthy South Los Angeles
- Aurora, CO: Increasing Access to Behavioral Health Screening and Support in Aurora
- Colorado Springs, CO: Project ACCESS (Assessment and Community Collaboration to Engage and Strengthen Southeast Colorado Springs)
- Denver, CO: East5ide Unified
- Miami, FL: The Liberty City Community Collaborative for Change
- Chicago, IL: Health Forward/Salud Adelante
- Springfield, MA: The Health Hill Initative
- Baltimore, MD: Healing Together: Preventing Youth Violence in Upton and Druid Heights
- Detroit, MI: Chandler Park Healthy Neighborhood Strategy
- Portland, OR: BUILDing Health and Equity in East Portland
- Seattle, WA: Seattle Chinatown – International District’s Healthy Community Action Plan
In September 2016, 10 planning award communities moved into the implementation phase.
Learn more at the BUILD Health Challenge website.