The BUILD Health Challenge supports “bold, upstream, integrated, local, and data-driven” (BUILD) community health interventions. By strengthening partnerships between local nonprofit organizations, hospitals and health systems, and local health departments, we are able to improve community health and well-being.
In 2014, five funding partners came together to identify, accelerate and spotlight innovative approaches that reorient the field toward upstream factors that influence health. The de Beaumont Foundation partnered with the Advisory Board Company, the Colorado Health Foundation, the Kresge Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to issue the call to action.
BUILD is expanding!
In addition to the original five partners, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation, Episcopal Health Foundation, Interact for Health, Mid-Iowa Health Foundation, New Jersey Health Initiatives, and Telligen Community Initiative joined the funding collaborative in 2016 to issue a new call for applications for 18 new grants.
What will you BUILD?
In June 2015, 18 communities were selected to receive BUILD Health Challenge Awards in areas including housing, food insecurity, active living, violence prevention, and economic development. The following seven received two-year Implementation Awards:
- Oakland, CA: San Pablo Area Revitalization Collaborative
- Ontario, CA: The Healthy Ontario Initiative
- Des Moines, IA: Healthy Homes Des Moines
- Albuquerque, NM: Addressing Healthcare’s Blindside in Albuquerque’s South Side
- Bronx, NY: The Bronx Healthy Buildings Program
- Cleveland, OH: Engaging the Community in New Approaches to Healthy Housing
- Pasadena, TX: The Harris County BUILD Health Collaborative
The following 11 communities received one-year planning awards:
- Los Angeles, CA: Youth-Driven Healthy South Los Angeles
- Aurora, CO: Increasing Access to Behavioral Health Screening and Support in Aurora
- Colorado Springs, CO: Project ACCESS (Assessment and Community Collaboration to Engage and Strengthen Southeast Colorado Springs)
- Denver, CO: East5ide Unified
- Miami, FL: The Liberty City Community Collaborative for Change
- Chicago, IL: Health Forward/Salud Adelante
- Springfield, MA: The Health Hill Initative
- Baltimore, MD: Healing Together: Preventing Youth Violence in Upton and Druid Heights
- Detroit, MI: Chandler Park Healthy Neighborhood Strategy
- Portland, OR: BUILDing Health and Equity in East Portland
- Seattle, WA: Seattle Chinatown – International District’s Healthy Community Action Plan
In September 2016, ten planning award communities moved into the implementation phase.